Saturday, January 26, 2008

Ausbildung!

Following my 8-week stint at the Deutsches Schauspielhaus theater's scenery shop in October and November, I called upon a connection I made through a colleague at the Thalia Theater and started an internship at ZeZe Möbelbau GmbH.
(The name is pronounced "Tsay-tsay" in english, ZeZe being the German phonetic spelling of CC, standing for the two guys--both named Christian--who started the company)


While an apprenticeship at the Thalia Theater had peaked my interest for some time... it slowly became clear through my continued experience in theater construction and in conversations with colleagues that such an environment would not be the richest from which to learn.

The ephemeral flow of a theater which keeps things exciting and fresh on stage, demands mostly crude building techniques and cheap expendable materials. This realization, and the resultant decision not the pursue an apprenticeship backstage was disappointing. However, these regrets were allayed not only by the friendly and interesting people I found at ZeZe, but by their level of skill and the quality of their work.

It having become quickly clear to me--over the two weeks before Christmas and my first week back--that this would be a good place to learn the trade, and considering their interest in me and my skills, I decided to sign a contract with them as apprentice!

(The only downside of the whole this is their location, no less than 1 1/2hrs travel time door-to-door -- Katja and I will likely move to somewhere in between in a half year or so)

* * *



On a different note, last weekend we went to a symphony concert in the Laeiszhalle in Hamburg (her Christmas gift to me), where we heard:
- Dvorák: Serenade für Streichorchester E-Dur
- Mozart: Violinkonzert Nr. 5 A-Dur KV 219
- Haydn: Sinfonie Nr. 45 »Abschied«
...while all three are beautiful pieces, during some of the less enthralling movements I found my myself wondering HOW they managed to cut/bend/laminate the gilded wood moldings that fit perfectly even where their snaking arcs bent along the inward curving ceiling.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home